Friday, January 26, 2007

Moving (again)

I got a new apartment!! *dances*

It’s smallish, and perhaps more “cramped” than “cozy,” but I like it a lot. It’s definitely a step down from my current place in terms of space, amenities, and general aesthetics, but it has one very important feature: I’m the only one who lives there. That would make up for a world of other woes.


I move in on the 3rd, and have four people with two trucks between them who have offered to help. I really have lucked out in the friends department. I’m so excited about having my own place again, and can’t wait to have dinner parties. There is the slight hangup that it’s too small for me to put in a dining table, which means we’ll all pretty much be sitting on the living room floor with plates in out laps, but I don’t think anyone will mind too much. I’m planning on making a big mess of spaghetti for my friends who help me move, so I’ll actually host my first gathering my very first night there. I’m thrilled beyond words. Can’t wait to start doing this every week or so, inviting over a few people, making a big meal, asking a couple people to bring a bottle of wine, and just spend the evening talking about whatever comes up. I’ve spent far too many years being far too antisocial; it’s time for me to start interacting again, and the best way to get over my fear of that is to do it on my own terms, in a way that lets me feel like I have a measure of control in the situation. My house, my guest list, my cooking, all things that will contribute significantly to a sense of security. Hopefully I’ll be able to create an environment there that somehow shares that sense of stability and comfort with everyone I invite over.

I can’t wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Spaghetti!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed that all my comments include FOOD??? Anyways, I'll see you on Saturday, Quincy has to work until noon so it will probably be 1:00ish when we get there and I know I'll need directions again. Love ya.

pyrrhadox said...

Now that you mention it... Yeah. But that's probably because food is so very, very good.

1:00 sounds perfect. Call when you're getting close to town and I'll talk you through it, depending on if I'm at the new place or the old one.